This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

God Can Fix That

           There has been so much in the news of late about the suffering in Haiti.  Sometimes we wonder why God permits terrible things to happen in this world.  On a smaller scale, this past week I have dealt with some severe back pains which several times virtually incapacited me.  Therefore, I have kept some of my blog posts shorter that in the past.  Today's post will be no exception.  I have gotten some painkillers after a visit to the emergency room yesterday.  I was assured that the pain was not anything serious, but I would probably have some discomfort over the next week or two.  Then I see on TV about the people left homeless, with loss of loved ones, in pain and suffering on the streets of Haiti and realize how petty my own problems are in comparision.  Praise God for the blessings we receive every day!

            Here are just a few verses that I have been pondering over and I wanted to share them with you:

 Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
Romans 8:17-18 (NIV)


For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.
Romans 8:20-22 (NIV)


When times are good, be happy;
but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one
as well as the other.
Therefore, a man cannot discover
anything about his future.
Ecclesiastes 7:14 (NIV)


 He said, "If you listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you."
Exodus 15:26 (NIV)


 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.
Proverbs 4:5 (NIV)


Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding
Proverbs 3:5 (NIV)

10 comments:

  1. Disasters puts life into perspective , There's you with your back pain me with a streaming cold, yet as you so rightly say there are sick, injured, homeless and children orphaned by the Hiati disaster. It puts me to shame.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While my religious take on what God is, and the involvement that God has or not in allowing suffering or other events is quite different...it is irrelevant

    But I DO wish you a speedy mending for your back. Back pain is the worst, and can knock out all your spunk and energy, not to mention good cheer.

    Hurry and get that back mended!

    Sig

    ReplyDelete
  3. `
    Quitcher belly-achin'!
    Er... I guess that would be "back-achin'", eh?

    No, seriously, Lee, sorry to hear about the back pain. I sure do hope you're feeling like your ol' self again soon. Think I'm gonna go buy myself a hangover out of sympathy for ya. When my buddies are hurting, I should be hurting too!
    ;o)

    Take care, my friend.

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" McMe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that the families won't suffer anymore than they have already. Within all the chaos some will be separated from each other especially the young children, I found to God he will help them to find their way back together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As one who lives with chronic back pain I certainly can relate to how you must feel. Its no fun. But I have learned that there is always someone worse off than me! And I loved the verses, especially the last. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disasters allows you to look at your life a little differently!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! It was nice looking at yours and I look forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like spending a great deal of time in proverbs and eccl. connects well with proverbs as well. Romans is one of the easy to overlook books of the new testament.

    Thanks for sharing these gems of wisdom.

    Kindest regards,
    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank all of you for your kind words.

    Except for Stephen, that is-- thank you Stephen for insensitivity, er, that is, humor-- I laughed until it hurt.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. `
    Glad to hear it, rLEE-b, because laughter is the best medicine. (Well, no, actually Wild Turkey 101 is the best medicine, but laughter comes in a close second.)

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" Stephen

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee