This Is Me--2024 A to Z Theme

My A to Z Themes in the past have covered a range of topics and for 2024 the theme is a personal retrospective that I call "I Coulda Been" which is in reference to my job and career arc over my lifetime. I'll be looking at all sorts of occupations that I have done or could have done. Maybe you've done some of these too!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Was This Your Best Year?

              People often speak of superlatives.  This is the best, that was the greatest, she was the prettiest, he was the most athletic, and on and on.  We make top ten lists and have contests to determine who or what is better than someone or something else.  We like to know the general consensus of which one comes out on top or which one is preferable.  Wine connoisseurs use the standard of which year is best for certain wines.
That brings me to today's question:

Was 2009 your best year ever?

            I've never been very good in making judgements about something being better than something else unless it's so obvious it just slaps me in the side of the head.  I would probably have a hard time judging a beauty competition, an essay contest, or an art show where all the entrants were fairly equal.  Even when they're not equal I can usually find something good where I know somebody has put in an honest effort.

            So how can I judge a year.  For some reason 1972 has always been one of my favorite years, but I couldn't  tell you why.  I don't even remember much of anything that happened in 1972.   My 1980 started really bad, but turned really good, and ended pretty good, but with something bad thrown in.  Generally speaking though, I've always been a pretty happy guy with a positive outlook so every year has seemed pretty good.

            In 2009 I lost a job that I'd had for 18 years and remained unemployed in a year of bleak employment prospects and somewhat bad economy.  At least I was able to collect unemployment which I've never had to do before in my entire life.  So I guess economically I'm holding on unlike some people who have lost homes and other things.  And so far my continued job search is not showing too much promise.

          On the other hand, in 2009 two of my daughters have gotten married to some really fine young men. Their lives seem to going very well for them.  And my other daughters are doing things in their lives that have made me feel really proud of them.  My grand-daughter is beautiful, healthy and progressing well having passed the one year mark.  I have been enjoying my life despite my decreased income.

          I have come back to writing and have started blogging.   I'm loving where this has been taking me and I see bright prospects for the future.  I have a nice home, reasonable health, and I certainly never go hungry.  Yes, 2009 has been a great year over all.  But can I say 2009 has been my best?  Perhaps too early to tell.  Maybe ten years from now I can look back and say that this was my best year.  Or maybe I'll say this is when my life really started getting better because every year since 2009 has been better than the last.

         What about you?  Was this your best year ever?  Was it a bad year?   What was your best year?  What makes a year "the best year"?   Are you a glass half-full or a glass half-empty sort of person?  In other words, are you an optimist or a pessimist?   Do you think next year will be better than this year was?

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if 2009 was my best years but I know I'm loving my 30s. Shortly before I turned 30 I decided to write and since then, I feel great. I think all writers know they need to write. Denying that fact just makes them crazy. So, since then, I feel I've accomplished something.

    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it hard to judge with superlatives as well!

    We did have a good year. I've got a lovely, healthy, happy family. We've got jobs and friends we love. Lots of good stuff!

    I've come forward in my writing this year - leaps and bounds actually. So yeah, it was a good year :)

    I hope your 2010 brings you joy and success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready for 2009 to disappear, dissolve, move on.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>[Q: Are you a glass half-full or a glass half-empty sort of person? In other words, are you an optimist or a pessimist?]<<

    A:
    And if California slides
    into the ocean

    Like the mystics and
    statistics say it will

    I predict this motel will be standing
    until I pay my bill

    ~ "Lonesome Dogg" Stephen
    (quoting from 'Desperados Under The Eaves')

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being an optimist...i certainly feel the new year will bring the greater days for me and my family....last year was a mixed one...and cant deny the fact that life is a mixture of good and bad...so absorbing all will continue move ahead in its journey

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was close to the worst ever.
    Lost job, wife broke leg bad, then totaled, and to top it off just about every major appliance we own died.

    Then again, I did start a new career. Haven't made a dime yet but I'm getting there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that despite losing a high income job that sucked all my energy for the last several years, 2009 has been the best year I remember. I finally got to rediscover who I really am. I saw two of my beautiful neices get married and I finally met a wonderful man after many years of not even dating. I am convinced that God gives and takes away. He gave me a wonderful career opportunity when I needed that fulfillment in my life and he gave me Jim when he knew I was was ready for a relationship. We were engaged in December.

    Lee, keep up the great work. I am enjoying your writings. Happy New Year to all.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say something. Don't be afraid to speak your mind.
I normally try to respond to all comments in the comment section so please remember to check the "Email follow-up comments" box if you want to participate in the comment conversation.

For Battle of the Bands voting the "Anonymous" commenting option has been made available though this version is the least preferred. If voting using "anonymous" please include in your comment your name (first only is okay) and city you are voting from and the reason you chose the artist you did.

If you know me and want to comment but don't want to do it here, then you can send me an email @ jacksonlee51 at aol dot com.

Lee